Friday, June 28, 2013

Phantom Females

As the daughter of our town's E.S.D.A. Coordinator, I have always been intrigued by ham radio.  My father (and elmer) has been a ham for about 40 years.  He actually received his license when he was in high school!

After studying for three weeks, I went to take the ham test.  I was very discouraged to see that I was the only girl in the room.  However, I was treated like a queen by the group that was hosting the test.  They seemed excited to have a female in their midst. 

Upon receiving my Technician license, I eagerly awaited the Tuesday night ARES net (which my dad happens to be the Net Control of).  Again, I was saddened to hear but a few female voices.  Over time, I noticed that the female hams rarely checked in to the net.  I wondered why these women who worked so hard to achieve their licenses would not want to take advantage of all that ham radio has to offer.

I hope that women are being encouraged to be active hams.  Whether they join a club or simply make contacts, females are providing a fresh voice and perspective to the hobby.  So, ladies, do not be shy!  Proudly check in with your call sign.  You have earned it!

No comments:

Post a Comment