Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Voiceless Victims

There is an epidemic that is sweeping the country.  Its victims cannot fight back.  Merely mentioning this topic could cause one to lose his/her job.  I am talking about bully bosses.

Sadly, I have personally been the victim of this type of boss.  When I landed a job that actually had to do with journalism, I was so excited.  I thought that I was the luckiest girl in the world.  Until the nice person that hired me turned into a bully.  Sexist comments were made almost on a daily basis.  I said nothing because I feared losing my job.

Finally, I secured a different job.  Everything seemed to be much different.  My boss was polite, respectful, even funny.  But that all changed two years into my employment.  Suddenly, this person was moody and condescending.  Whenever I asked a question, I received e-mail replies with "What do you think you should do?"  Not only did this person discourage me from asking questions to further my knowledge of the company, but, wasted the company's time and money by not providing me with a straight answer.

So, I continued my job search.  I soon found a job that I thought I would really enjoy.  Then, the honeymoon period wore off and the boss's true colors were shown.  This boss had a Master's degree.  I was one of the only other women in the office to hold a Bachelor's degree.  Naturally, the boss thought that because of the advance degree held, he/she could simply yell at the employees whenever he/she felt like it.   Needless to say, I moved on to another job within the year.

My next job was by far the worst job I have ever held.  In the month that I was hired, I had a series of unfortunate events:  I came down with a cold that made me the sickest I have ever been in my life; ice pelted my town and I was forced to call in because the roads were too dangerous; my tire blew out on the way home from said job and all of the tire places were closed because it was a holiday.  I couldn't believe it.  Soon, I was called into my boss's office and told that if I missed one more day of work, I would be fired!  Me, fired?  For things that were beyond my control? 

Where do all of these demoralizing experiences leave me?  With a scarred resume.  I feel that potential employers think that I am a "job hopper" and that I have no plans to stay put in a job for longer than a year.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  I have been desperately searching for my "forever job" ever since graduating college.  But, thanks to these bully bosses, I appear to have no say in the matter.  Could I really tell a potential employer at an interview that I have honestly been the victim of bully bosses and bad circumstances?  I'm sure I know the answer I would receive, "NEXT!"

No comments:

Post a Comment