Saturday, November 9, 2013

Ruined Reunion

My 10 year high school reunion is coming up at the end of this month.  And as dorky as it may sound, I have been looking forward to it for quite some time.  Catching up with friends, dancing (making a few ex-boyfriends jealous).

So, you can imagine my excitement when I received an invitation via Facebook.  It appeared that the reunion would take place on two days: an event on a Friday evening and an event on Saturday afternoon.  My mom explained that there is usually some type of a picnic on one day and a semi-formal dance on the other.

I couldn't wait to go dress shopping!  Images of me and my husband sashaying around a dance floor filled my head.  But, then I read a Facebook post from one of my fellow classmates.  This person stated that she wasn't going to "waste $20 to go to a bonfire."

A bonfire?  As in sitting outside and cooking hot dogs?  For a reunion?

I contacted another fellow classmate to try to solve the mystery.  Unfortunately, she was just as clueless as I was.  A few days later, I received another Facebook message from the person coordinating the reunion.  She wanted to know who was going to be participating in the chili cook off.

What?  We've gone from a bonfire to a chili cook off?  I have never heard of having such an event at a reunion.  I politely responded that I would not be partaking in the cook off.  Then, someone asked if anyone was bringing buttered noodles.

Let me get this straight.  The coordinator wants $20 a person and we have to bring food?  While not thrilled with the idea of a potluck, I thought it could still be fun.

However, the final invitation crushed all of my reunion fantasies.  The event will be one day only, feature a chili cook-off, bonfire and hayride.  A dance floor will also be available.  The cost is still $20 a person (jumping to a whopping $30 after November 8th) and you have to bring your own drinks (this includes soda).

My husband voiced what I had been thinking, but too afraid to say, "That doesn't sound like it's worth $40.  Maybe we shouldn't go."

Not go to my 10 year reunion?  I remember watching episodes of "Full House" and "Family Matters" where Jesse and Carl went to their high school reunions.  They got dressed up, met up with friends, and had a great time.  I guess basing my idea of what the perfect reunion should be upon a few television shows wasn't such a good idea.

But, I had to agree with my husband.  I simply cannot justify spending $40 to go sit outside somewhere and hope that the people who liked me in high school show up and want to converse.  And by the time you purchase the ingredients to make a side dish and your own drinks, we estimated the cost to be about $60 dollars.  I can think of a lot better ways to spend that money.

I was intrigued to see a message from the coordinator stating that people needed to RSVP and pay soon, otherwise, the reunion may be cancelled!  And I can't say that I am surprised.  I am sure that I am not the only one that feels like this reunion isn't what it should be.

Knowing this person, I know that she thinks she always knows what's best.  She is always right, no matter what.  But, I think that she should have come up with about five different ideas and let her fellow classmates decide by means of a vote.  Instead, she charged ahead with what she thought people would like and is now finding out that not many are interested.

The town that we come from is very small and has the reputation for being "hickish."  And I can't help but feel like the reunion is holding true to that stigma.  We sound like a bunch of country bumpkins trying to throw a hoedown.  Why couldn't we have gone for something a bit more sophisticated and grown up?  Hayrides and bonfires, while fun, sounds a lot like the things we did as high schoolers.

Sadly, I have decided to skip the reunion.  For my fellow classmates' sake, I hope that the event is not cancelled.  Perhaps someone will think of me when they roast a weenie.  Good luck, class of 2003! 

No comments:

Post a Comment