Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Guilty Giving

Christmas is just around the corner.  There are parties to attend, presents to be wrapped and large holiday meals to consume.

Most importantly, this is the season of giving.  However, it seems that literally everyone wants you to give something to some one/cause.  Please do not misunderstand me.  I love to give, but, what happens when you feel forced to give?

The place where I work is hosting a Christmas party at the end of the week.  Everyone is supposed to bring in a delicious dish to share.  Then, a white elephant gift was requested.  And now, we are expected to bring in gifts to give to the student workers.

Much like the anti-drug campaigns in the early 90's, the phrase "Just say no," comes to mind.  But, I learned quickly that you do not want to be that person.  Case in point, I overheard a group of my co-workers talking about who brought in items for the student workers vs. who did not.

"They can just go to the dollar store and pick something up," said one co-worker.

Here again, we, as humans, are in the terrible habit of assuming that people have money to spare.  While I do not come to work with holes in my clothes and am lucky enough to not have to take the bus to work, my husband and I don't often have "spare" money.  Especially, not after purchasing Christmas gifts for the members of our families.  You cannot tell a person's financial situation simply by looking at him/her.

*Ironically enough, this person ALWAYS takes off the day of the office Christmas party.  Could it be because this person does not want to spend money on food for everyone?  Hmmm.....

And why do we judge people for not giving during this time of year?  Just because someone chooses not to give to your specific cause does not mean that the person does not give in general.  In fact, I have given money to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, the Pancreatic Cancer Network, the American Diabetes Association and the Missouri Humane Society.  My husband and I also sponsor a child in Sri Lanka through World Vision.  And I love to give to the Salvation Army bell ringers.

I give to these causes because they have special and personal meanings.  My grandma has Mantel Cell Lymphoma.  A dearly departed friend of mine suffered from pancreatic cancer.  My father has Type II Diabetes.  And I own 5 dogs and a cat.  It's safe to say that I love animals.

We chose to sponsor a child because we were inspired while attending a Christian concert. Our donation helps to provide much needed education as well as sanitary supplies and food.  Plus, we love to receive letters and photos from "our" girl.

Giving is supposed to be a voluntary action.  One should not feel coerced or forced into doing so.  People should give because their heart tells them to.

I hate to admit that I have succumbed to peer pressure.  On my way home, I did stop at the local dollar store.  And in doing so, I have spent some of the money that is supposed to be used for our mortgage.

So, remember the real reason for the season.  God gave us the ultimate gift, his son, Jesus, because "he so loved the world."  And that is the true meaning of the word "giving."



No comments:

Post a Comment