Thursday, January 30, 2014

Brazen Bridezillas

February is rapidly approaching.  And you know what that means.  Love will be in the air!

In fact, many people that I know are getting married this year. But, I fear that some of the brides-to-be are dangerously close to being labeled a "bridezilla."

What is a bridezilla, you may ask?  A bridezilla is bride that goes to extremes to make sure that her wedding day is absolutely, 100% perfect.  She may also place unreasonable expectations upon members of the wedding party as well as the guests themselves.  Ultimately, the bride is consumed with thoughts of herself...and no one else.

This troubles me greatly.  It seems that every bride is trying to achieve the "perfect" wedding.  As cheesy as it sounds, my wedding was perfect because of who I married.  Not because of the guests, the weather, the food, the gifts.  I was elated to finally marry the man that I had been engaged to for 3 years.

Thankfully, I never went into bridezilla territory.  And I would have had every reason to.  Two out of my three bridesmaids (they were sisters) e-mailed me at work to say that they decided they no longer wanted to be in my wedding...two weeks before the big day.  After they had already purchased their dresses and their names were on all of the programs. 

Speaking of the programs, they looked absolutely horrible.  The names of the bridal party were all stacked on top of one another.  Not the elegant look I was hoping for.  And to top it all off, my soon-to-be mother-in-law showed up wearing the exact same dress as my mother.

The only thing that I demanded was that the church be kept at a quite frosty temperature.  I was terrified that I was going to faint from being so nervous.  But, I thought that was a very reasonable request.

 Unlike some of the demands from bridezillas.  Some instruct their bridesmaids that they are not allowed to cut their hair before the wedding.  Others even go so far as to tell their "friends" that they need to go on a diet in order to look good for the photographs.  Ouch!

Still, others obsess about the decorations.  One of my co-workers has a daughter who is getting married in the next few months.  She apparently wants a photo booth, popcorn bar and candy bar at the reception.  Is this going to be a wedding or a county fair?

I have never understood the need for an extravagant wedding.  Two prime examples:  Kim Kardashian/Chris Humphries and Jessica Simpson/Nick Lachey.  Both of these starlets decided to televise their nuptials.  Lavish decorations surrounded their guests as these women floated down the aisle in wedding gowns that cost more than my mortgage.

But, does anyone remember any of the details of these two weddings?  Dresses aside, I highly doubt that you will hear someone say, "Boy, I remember the chair covers at Jessica's wedding.  They were stunning!"  What everyone (at least those that pay attention to pop culture) knows is who married who.

And that is the whole point of a wedding.  It isn't to show someone else up or impress a snobby family member.  It is not meant to be akin to a concert, where you need bouncers at the door.  A wedding is supposed to be a celebration of eternal love between two individuals.

Plus, what does having such a ridiculously large wedding prove?  In the case of Kim and Jessica, their marriages lasted only for a few years.  All that time and money spent trying to make the wedding "perfect" was wasted.

I would strongly encourage all future brides to remember the reason why you are getting married in the first place:  love.  This day is not only about you and how you look.  It is about your partner and the fact that you are about to embark on the most amazing journey ever...together.


No comments:

Post a Comment