Thursday, January 4, 2018

Not Quite Narwhal Book Review

Kelp has always known that he is different from the other narwhals.  His tusk is not as glorious as his friend's.  And he still has not mastered the art of swimming.

One day, a swift current carries Kelp far from home.  He surfaces and sees an animal in the distance that looks just like him!  Stepping onto land for the first time, Kelp begins his search for the magical creature.

He emerges from the forest to find a meadow filled with what must be land narwhals.  Kelp is then informed that the creatures are actually unicorns and is told that he is one too!  How will his underwater friends take this shocking news?  Should Kelp remain on land with his unicorn kin forever?

This is one of my absolute favorite children's picture books of all time!  I love everything about the story.  I can totally relate to Kelp and his feelings of being torn between two worlds.  I think that everyone will be able to relate with Kelp and his journey to find out who (and what) he really is.

Sima's illustrations are adorably fantastic!  I fell in love with Kelp the moment I saw him in the clam shell.  Sima is a master of facial expressions and I love the diverse color palette that she uses which can be seen throughout the book.

Readers of all ages will adore Kelp and cheer him on in his quest to find his true identity.  This book is sure to become a children's classic and will delight readers for years to come.  I hope that Kelp will return to share more of his adventures with the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment