Monday, February 12, 2018

WriteOnCon 2018

As an aspiring picture book author, I am always looking for writing conferences to attend.  Improving my craft is very important to me.  I hope to author books that will truly change the way that people view and think about the world around them.

I discovered WriteOnCon while checking my Twitter feed.  Intrigued, I went to their website to learn more.  WriteOnCon is a three-day online children's book conference for writers and illustrators of picture books, middle grade, young adult, as well as new adult. 

I absolutely love online conferences!  I don't have to worry about packing, travel arrangements or, (most importantly) leaving my fabulous fur babies.  I attended my first online conference, Picture Book Summit, in 2017 and was hooked.

As with all conferences,  there is a price for admission.  For all access to the conference, I paid $37.00.  That's right!  Just $37.00!  The best part?  This included a manuscript critique by Clarissa Wong, Editor at Harper Collins Children's Books. 





The conference started bright and early on Friday, February 9th.  I had a stack of empty notebooks waiting to be filled with knowledge.  Extra pencils and a large eraser were positioned for easy access.  The clock struck 7:30 a.m. and the conference was on!

The day consisted of live events, (including a query critique session with an actual literary agent), recorded podcast interviews with industry experts, panel discussions with some of today's best selling authors, and blog articles providing tips and tricks for honing the writing craft. 

By the end of day one, I thought that my brain was going to explode.  I was learning so much from some of the best in the business.  The presenters were extremely nice and carefully considered each question that was asked.



I created a binder to keep all of my new knowledge organized!



Saturday and Sunday were just as epic.  One of my favorite events was a live workshop on picture book beat sheets.  Another was a live panel discussion with picture book authors.  I was beyond thrilled to see Marcie Colleen in attendance.  I definitely had a fan girl moment!

I loved the enthusiasm that the presenters exuded, especially Alexa Donne.  Everyone was happy to share their knowledge and personal experiences.  The literary agents, editors, and authors were down to earth.  It almost felt like having a conversation with my girlfriends.

I have to admit, I was sad when the conference concluded on Sunday evening.  I was exhausted but I wanted to keep learning.  One of my notebooks is now completely full.  A single pencil spent beyond sharpening.

I would highly recommend this conference to anyone who is interested in writing for the kid lit community.  WriteOnCon has certainly gained a new attendee for life!  I cannot wait to see what the 2019 conference has to offer.

To learn more about WriteOnCon, visit their website at:  www.writeoncon.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment