Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Jessie Sima Author Event

I screamed when I read my Facebook notification.  My favorite children's picture book author/illustrator, Jessie Sima, would be coming to The Novel Neighbor in Webster Groves, Missouri!  She would be celebrating the release of her second book Harriet Gets Carried Away.

My fingers could not dial the phone fast enough.  I immediately called and asked my mom to come along.  We decided to leave early on the day of the event to avoid any rush hour traffic.  What we were not expecting was the freak and sudden snow storm that we encountered the further we drove into Missouri.

We reached The Novel Neighbor and I excitedly exited the car.  I could not believe that I was about to meet Jessie Sima!  Of course, mom and I turned out to be the first ones there.  Better early than late, we always say.

Jessie was still setting up.  My heart raced as we entered the room. 

"Hi, guys!  Welcome and thank you for coming!" she greeted.

I immediately had a fan out moment.  I gushed and told her that Not Quite Narwhal is my favorite children's book of all time. 

"Aww!  Thank you so much!" Jessie said.

She stopped setting up and posed for selfies, autographed my copy of Not Quite Narwhal that I snuck in and graciously accepted the copy of Priceless Penny that I handed to her.



Selfie time with Jessie Sima!



"This is for me?" she asked.  "Thank you so much!  I love it!"

Mom then returned with two copies of Sima's newest book, Harriet Gets Carried Away.  Jessie happily autographed both books and then took the time to speak with my mother about her career as an elementary school teacher.



Love this autograph from Jessie!





I am beyond touched that Jessie liked Priceless Penny!



Jessie was beyond down to earth.  Speaking with her was like being with an old friend.  I am glad that she didn't think my fanning out was too crazy.

The event was great fun.  Jessie read Not Quite Narwhal and Harriet Gets Carried Away aloud.  She then drew a narwhal for the children in attendance to color.  Jessie also answered any questions that the children (and their parents) had.

This was truly one of the best days of my life.  I hope that Jessie will come back to Missouri for future book releases.  To learn more about this amazing author/illustrator, visit her official website at:  jessiesima.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment