Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Misguided Miley

Upon hearing about Miley Cyrus' epic MTV Music Video Awards performance, I decided to check it out for myself.  It really couldn't be a bad as everyone was saying.  I was wrong.  It was way worse!

I'll admit, I liked the giant teddy bear that Miley stepped out of.  That is where my love affair with her performance ended.  From the moment she straddled the bear's leg, I knew I was in for a show.

Sure enough, Miley came out shaking her butt at everyone and sticking out her tongue.  Then, I watched as she spanked the bottom of one of her back up dancers.  Needless to say, I was less then impressed.

And then, Robin Thicke took the stage.  Miley proceeded to grind on him.  Then, to my horror, she defiled a foam finger!  My reaction was akin to Rhianna's:  a blank and confused stare at my computer monitor.

My one question:  Why, Miley?  I do not understand why she went down the same road as Lindsey Lohan and Amanda Bynes.  She is now officially a hot mess.

In my mind, she seemed to have it all together.  She gracefully left the successful Hannah Montana show to pursue other acting opportunities.  And I thought she was phenomenal in "The Last Song."  Then, she was engaged to her hunky co-star, Liam Hemsworth.  I thought that Miley was making the transition into adulthood beautifully.

Then, she shaved her head.  And it was all down hill from there.  Soon, her engagement to Liam ended.  In one tabloid that I read, Liam's family was not happy with the "changes" that Miley was making to herself.  More tattoos and piercings ensued.

Once I saw the music video for "We Can't Stop," I knew that she had lost me as a fan forever.  This was not the Miley Cyrus that I had adored for years.  I simply do not understand why many young starlets think that maturing equals personifying sex.  Yes, I get that the actresses don't want to be type cast as the "goodie two shoes girl next door."  They want and deserve more adult type roles.

But I have seen plenty of adult roles that do not involve sex.  I'm thinking of Kate Hudson in "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days," or Sandra Bullock in "The Blind Side."  These are two drastically different examples of adult roles that have absolutely nothing to do with sex.  Meaning, the stories revolve around an actual plot that requires the TALENT of the actress.  Not a mere shedding of clothing that happens daily at local strip clubs.

If I was a parent, I would keep my child away from every and anything Miley.  What message is she sending to young girls?  Shake your butt in boy's faces?  Yes, that won't lead to trouble.  Don't treat your body with respect.  Make is a playground for any and all interested parties.  What a great role model!

I cannot comprehend why this bizarre behavior is happening so frequently among Disney starlets.  While I certainly did not expect Miley to remain Hannah Montana forever, I never anticipated that she would turn into a classless, talentless hoochie.

Perhaps there needs to be a group, like DSA (Disney Stars Anonymous).  Maybe then these troubled ladies could receive the help that they need.  And hopefully, inspire future generations to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment